Outfitted with a 16-color display, a high-speed USB data port, 8 MB of built-in maps, and an additional 8 MB of usable memory, the Magellan eXplorist 500 North America includes all the tools you need to navigate throughout the U.S. and Canada whether in the car or on foot. The device is rugged and lightweight, with a waterproof, impact-resistant plastic housing that stands up to almost every adventure, including whitewater rafting and hiking.
At the same time, its pocket-sized chassis, which measures a mere 2.2 by 4.7 by 1.3 inches (W x H x D), is loaded with convenient features, such as detailed, built-in maps of North American roads, parks, waterways, and airports; the ability to save five track log files, 20 routes, and 500 points of interest; and an area calculator that determines the distance between saved points of interest—an ideal function when mapping out hiking trails. Other cool and convenient add-ons include a fish/hunt function that mentions the best fishing and hunting times for a specific coordinate and a similar tool that displays the rising and setting times for the sun and moon.
Should the built-in maps and extra memory prove insufficient, users can load additional map data onto Secure Digital (SD) memory cards using Magellan’s MapSend software (sold separately), which is available via CD-ROM and, in some cases, online (your computer connects to the GPS through its USB port). There’s no limit to the number of cards you can use, giving users access to everything from detailed street maps to topographical layouts to lake charts showing bottom features and boat ramps. Fun seekers will also delight in the Geocache Manager, which invites individuals and families to download geocache coordinates from specific Internet sites and use them on such adventures as treasure hunts and coordinated community projects. The manager employs a PC-style file system to keep geocache navigation easy.
Adding to the simplicity are the intuitive keypad and joystick controls, along with the one-button access for particularly important features. Unlike with many GPS systems, it doesn’t take an expert to start navigating right away. The full-color display also helps first-time users, as it’s easier to differentiate between different map features and data.
Additional features include multilingual communication (choose from English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese, Dutch, or Norwegian); four navigation screens for viewing speed, direction, distance to destination, and more; and a rechargeable lithium ion battery pack that keeps the eXplorist 500 working for up to 17 hours. Conveniently, users needn’t remove the battery to charge it; simply plug the charger directly into the receiver and it renews itself.
This product is refurbished.
- An Expandable and Compact Color GPS
- Full 16-color screen
- High Speed USB data port to Transfer map data
- Area Calculation determines distance between 3 or more points of interest
- Power your eXplorist 500 with a simple pair of AAAs
- TrueFix Technology, Accurate & Reliable
- Download geocache coordinates from Internet sites
- 8 MB of built-in North American or European maps
- One-button access for all of the most important features
- Choose from English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese, Dutch or Norwegian
- Store up to 5 track log files, each with 2000 track-points to the internal memory
- Unlimited track log files to optional SD cards, easily find your way again
- 4 easy-to-read color navigation screens
- View speed, direction, distance to destination & all GPS information
- Monitor GPS satellites tracking your position, get their status information
- At 2.1″ × 4.6″ × 1.3″ & only 4.6 oz, take it anywhere
- Large backlit color display
- Rubber armored, impact resistant plastic
- Condition: Refurbished
- Warranty: 90 days from Magellan
- Waterproof, handheld GPS with USB data port and 16 MB of built-in memory
- Includes 8 MB of North American maps with roads, parks, waterways, and more
- Unlimited Secure Digital (SD) card expansion for adding maps via CD-ROM or Web
- 16-color, high-contrast, backlit LCD display
- Battery life: 17 hours
- Battery type: Lithium Ion, Rechargeable
- Included Components: Charger, USB Cable
- Measures 2.2 by 4.7 by 1.3 inches (W x H x D)